Union Place, Plymouth William
The Reel, Union Place, Plymouth originally opened as the Royal in 1938,
on the site of the early 19th century Theatre Royal. It was built for
Associated British Cinemas and designed by their architect William
Riddell Glen. It has a fine stone façade. Large for an ABC (2404
seats), in 1976-77 it was subdivided as three cinemas, with bingo at stalls level where the Compton organ, very unusually, survived - for broadcasting - until removal in 2006. The independent operator Reel took over the
cinemas from 2006, but the building is currently threatened with redevelopment for a hotel and student accommodation.
Below: ABC / Reel 4 in 2008