On leaving Farringdon Underground (old) station (not
the Turnmill Street exit) turn left – or when leaving Farringdon Main
Line (new) station, turn right – walk east 150 yards towards the
‘SnappySnaps’ shop. The entrance to the Gallery is opposite; walk
through the large gates and across the courtyard to the far end, turn
right down the steps and you’re there!
The Cinema Theatre Association organises visits to
cinemas and theatres, past and present, across the UK and overseas.
Lectures and other events feature in our programme of activities too.
These are usually for members only, so why not join?
Full details are provided in the bi-monthly Bulletin
This three-day tour is the first CTA event to include visits in this part of
Lincolnshire for over 30 years. We will be based in the City of Lincoln,
after first visiting Newark, over the border in Nottinghamshire and
afterwards Woodhall Spa. Lincoln has one of the most dramatic
locations in England. It is a City of two halves: Uphill and Downhill,
connected by streets with precipitous gradients, the most famous
being the aptly named Steep Hill.
We start the tour in Newark. The Palace Theatre was designed
as a cinema by the local businesswoman and architect, Emily Blagg,
1920. It is where Donald Wolfit started his acting career. Also in the
town is the five-screen Odeon (2007) and two closed venues now in
other use: the Art Deco exterior of the Savoy (Robert Cromie, 1936)
and what remains of a later façade of the Kinema, which originally
opened in 1913.
In Lincoln, we hope to include as many as possible of the current and
former cinemas, theatres and mixed-use venues in the City: The New Theatre Royal designed by Bertie Crewe & WGR Sprague
(1892) has been both a live venue and cinema. The Odeon (2001) is
a nine-screen multiplex. Two closed venues with Art Deco façades
have undergone internal alterations: the Ritz (formerly Odeon) by
Leslie C Norton (1937) and the Radion by WJ King (1939). We hope
to obtain access at both to see what remains of the auditoria. The
exteriors of the Picture Hall (Lincoln’s first cinema venue, a church
hall, 1909), the Cinematograph Hall (1910, in the former Corn Exchange)
and the Grand Electric Cinema, a 1911 conversion of a
Mediaeval/Georgian building. The Bishop Greaves Theatre was renamed The Venue
after being upgraded in 2012 to become a University
performing arts centre and a public cinema. The Drill Hall, a brick
and cast-iron structure (William Watkins (?), 1889-90), was converted
in 2004 into a venue for theatre, music and occasional cinema. The Blue Room
is a recently opened multi-purpose venue within the
ballroom of the former Lincoln Lunatic Asylum (Richard Ingleman,
1819-20). The Engine Shed, an entertainment complex in the former
1875 GNR engine shed and the adjacent LPAC–Lincoln Performing Arts Centre
– both by Stem Architects, 2005-07, as part of the Lincoln
University campus. The new Everyman is under construction with a
scheduled opening date of early 2020 but something of the exterior
may be visible.
We have been liaising with ‘Travel Editions’ and making reasonable progress with our trip to Porto. Unfortunately the cost of the trip, plus hotels within our price range for our proposed September 2019 visit is almost impossible to find. The poor exchange rate with the Euro is also proving a major obstacle.